WHO ARE WE?
- No To Hassockfield comprises individuals from different backgrounds and careers who are against the use of immigration detention. We believe detention has no place in our asylum system, and detaining women is particularly cruel and needless.
- We are a cross-party campaign including non-political members, as well as labour, liberal democrat and green activists.
- Members of our group come from the local region but also from beyond North East England. This is incredibly important to us, because what we are witnessing in Hassockfield/Derwentside is not a local problem, it is a national one. And national problems require national efforts.
- No To Hassockfield works closely with other organisations including but not limited to: Oxford Against Detention (formerly the Close Campsfield campaign), Detention Forum, Yarls Wood Campaigners, Duncan Lewis Solicitors, Women for Refugee Women, AVID, Women’s Aid, Migrant & Justice Forum, North East Against Racism, West End Refugee Service (WERS), Mental Health North East (MHNE), End Deportations Belfast, Abolish Detention and Durham People’s Assembly.
- We co-ordinate regular demonstrations outside the gates of the IRC and hold monthly Zoom Meetings for our members. Our Core Group of active campaigners meets in between for planning and admin purposes.