A report from His Majesty’s Inspector of Prisons was published today.
It slams the management of Derwentside IRC for allowing ill trained staff to use damaging force on women – alongside a litany of other concerns :
- inappropriate behaviour from staff towards detainees
- insensitive comments, staff entering rooms at night without adequate justification
- the insufficient use of interpreting services
- the lack of data management and efficient data storage
- and of course the low number of women who said that they felt supported and prepared for release (only 35%).
This confirms the findings of previous reports from bodies allowed inside the IRC and plenty of anecdotal evidence.
MP Kate Osborne has now joined in to take issue with the IRC, after visiting with colleagues from a Commons committee.
Read her statement here: